The Indian subcontinent has something to offer for every personality. The Indian subcontinent is filled with various styled wildlife sanctuaries where you can enjoy nature in the way it is intended to. The best way to experience the wildlife in India is by actually being in the wilderness. You can experience wildlife safari experience in many different types of landforms like desert, dense forest, swamp, snow filled area and others. Travelling through thick forests can be a sublime experience.
Safari can be differentiated into various types based on the type of vehicle you choose. The most common one is the jeep safari. Other exotic types of wildlife safari are elephant safari, camel safari and others. Everyone knows that India is the land of the tiger – but it’s also home to another two of the world’s four Big Cat species, leopard and lion, in addition to three species of wild ox and eight of wild deer. Before you start your trip to spot some majestic animals, here are some tips that would help you to be prepared for all situations and enjoy the trip without any resistance.
Suggested Tour: 12 N /13 D Rajasthan Wildlife Tour
What is a wildlife safari?
An Indian Wildlife Safari, drive through the dense jungles of India which will put you in a place where you have been not before. A Wildlife safari is basically a trip through the wilderness but not for the purpose of hunting but to enjoy what nature has to offer. It’s all about thrilling and exciting activities such as driving through the jungle, sightseeing, experiencing rich flora and fauna followed by hiking and trekking. All this you can do by opting for jeep safari, canter safari, elephant safari or safari of other kinds.
Where exactly in India?
India has a lot of places to offer to wildlife lovers from around the globe. If you are one of those real wildlife safari enthusiasts then India is the right place for you. You can plan a trip with your family, a bunch of friends or even alone if you prefer to. To plan your Indian wildlife safari tour experience, the first thing that you need to do your research. After that whichever place suits your budget and other needs, just go for it.
List of popular wild life sanctuaries and national parks in India
Ranthambore National park – Rajasthan
Keoladeo Ghana National Park – Rajasthan
Jim Corbett National Park – Uttarakhand
Sunderban Tiger Reserve – West Bengal
Kaziranga National Park – Assam
Kanha National Park – Madhya Pradesh
Namdapha National Park – Arunachal Pradesh
Bandipur National Park – Karnataka
Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary – Kerala
Gir National Park & Wildlife Sanctuary – Gujarat
Tadoba Tiger Reserve, Maharashtra
Bandhavgarh National Park – Madhya Pradesh
Be prepared for the time
Safari is not a show in which you can spot tigers and other animals immediately. Sometimes, it can take several minutes before you spot an animal worthy of the wait. If your guide insists on spending less time in safari and more time in other sightseeing, there is no point in dragging him into this experience. If you choose the tourist season for safari, you can find animals with their cubs. Else, spotting even a common animal would be time consuming. You can find safari guides at many sanctuaries who can help you spot animals, share interesting information and make the trip more enjoyable one.
Make sure that you find an experienced planner for wildlife safari. You can find many online.
Keep a tight but flexible budget as many a times the cost fluctuates.
Researches well, do not just take the word for it. Always go for a second opinion.
Carrying your own supplies of food like glucose biscuits, energy bars will be a smart option as purchasing the same from the reserve may be expensive.
Travel off season. You get cheaper tickets and there is the benefit of a lesser crowd.
It is better to avoid taking children if you are choosing to scale the sanctuary on foot. If you are on a bus, jeep or elephant; children would enjoy. Always have some entertainment for them.
Suggested Tour: North India Wildlife Tour
Suggested Tour: Classical India with Wildlife
What to carry:
- Digital Camera: There is a lot of excitement is taking back all the beautiful memories back home. Do not let a few bytes of memory storage ruin your journey. Carry a memory card with the best amount of memory it can offer. Keep a spare one with you in case the one you have malfunctions.
- Clothes to suit the weather: Assure that the clothes you carry will protect you even in the harshest of the weather conditions. The time of visit will give the right details of the weather. The day might be pleasant but the nights can get quite chilly. While you are on safari, wear shorts so that you are comfortable.
- Binoculars: There are several things to enjoy and experience, a few things could be happening away from your sight like say, a pack of monkeys chattering on the top of tree, a binocular can get you closer to the scene so that nothing goes missing towards the end of your trip.
- Medications: Carrying a medical kit should be on the top of the list of the priorities as walking across the woods might not be always pleasant. Therefore, don’t forget to carry your medical kit along with any particular kind of medicine that you are on. Your tour operator can give you some advice about the pills you will have to pack along with the other items.
Some do’s and don’ts
- Always travel in a group whenever you take up a wildlife safari. It is safer and while you travel in groups there is company to share your experiences with.
- Carry a medical kit which includes an alcohol based hand sanitizer, bandages and cotton.
- Iit is always advised not to break the silence as it might disturb the animals. You can enjoy your safari by spotting them from a distance.
- Animals are not familiar to bright colours so wearing shiny and swanky shades might disturb them, instead you should try wearing dull green or khaki colour.
- Do not feed the animals. The animals have been living with the nature and they will be able to support themselves. Food fed to them will upset their habits and health.
- Some areas in the jungle are restricted and prohibited to tourists due to safety and security reasons. So never try to enter such areas as you might get into some serious trouble.
- The drivers are supposed to follow a particular route and follow a speed limit. Do not force them to go against the rules put forth by the forest officials.
- Do not lit fire or smoke while you are in a safari. A jungle fire can be disastrous.
- Littering pollutes their environment and the habitat they live in. Do not throw plastic bags, tetra packs or the likes of the sort in the jungle. Dispose them properly.
So before you start with the safari give yourself enough time as nature is not in a hurry. The more time you spend on planning, the more chances of seeing wildlife will come your way. Keep all the above mentioned points in mind, you will be in an Indian wildlife safari, far away from the city limits, there should not be an event wherein you will have to travel back. If you are going to follow all the instructions and keep tips in your mind, the journey is surely going to be safe, exciting and fun filled. So plan it so well that you will have nothing but good memories once you are done with your wildlife safari.
Suggested Tour: North East India Wildlife Tour
Suggested Tour: Wildlife Adventure Tour
Suggested Tour: Rajasthan Wildlife Safari Tour
More from my site